[tor-project] Plan to retire Globe

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Sat Apr 30 08:00:33 UTC 2016

On 23/04/16 17:37, Karsten Loesing wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> as the subject says, I suggest that we retire Globe (currently
> available at https://globe.torproject.org/).
>
> The main reason is that Globe is serving a similar purpose as
> Atlas (available at https://atlas.torproject.org/), which it was
> forked from several years ago.  Neither Atlas nor Globe are
> actively developed, they only receive critical bug fixes whenever
> necessary.  And thanks, Philipp and Isis, for doing that!
>
> So, when deciding which of the two services we should keep, I
> looked at the number of daily requests to both services, which
> shows that Globe is used a lot less than Atlas:
>
> https://people.torproject.org/~karsten/volatile/atlas-globe-2016-04-01.png
>
>  The hope is that retiring Globe could make it more likely that
> new developers start contributing to Atlas.  It would also make it
> easier for us to add new feature to Atlas, because we wouldn't feel
> bad for not adding them to Globe, too.  In any case, we're getting
> rid of yet one more thing.
>
> Here's a suggested timeline for retiring Globe:
>
> - By April 30, we create Trac tickets for all features we like in
> Globe and that are missing in Atlas.  These tickets would go in
> component "Metrics/Atlas" in Trac.  If you want to keep something
> in Atlas that you like in Globe, this is your chance to make that
> happen!

Still 1 day left to add Atlas tickets for Globe features that we
should implement in Atlas before dumping Globe.  So far, we have 3
such tickets:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=!closed&component=Metrics%2FAtlas&component=Metrics%2FGlobe&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=component&col=keywords&order=keywords

If one of the other tickets looks worth doing before shutting down
Globe, please add the keyword complete-before-abandoning-globe to it.
 Or feel free to create a new ticket with that keyword for an issue
that is not yet filed.

Philipp and Isis, should we schedule a meeting for going through these
(currently) 48 tickets and decide whether we want to

 - turn Globe tickets into Atlas tickets if we want to keep them,
 - resolve the remaining Globe tickets,
 - add or remove keyword complete-before-abandoning-globe, and
 - make plans for getting them implemented soon?

How about we use the metrics team meeting time slot in 1.5 weeks when
there's no metrics team meeting?  That would be:

  Thursday, May 12, 14:00 UTC in #tor-dev

Happy to consider a different time or start a Doodle for this.

All the best,
Karsten