[tor-project] Plan to retire Globe

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Thu Apr 28 12:19:36 UTC 2016

On 26/04/16 21:20, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 08:22:04AM -0400, David Goulet wrote:
>> I'm good with Atlas. There are things that annoys me with it but
>> if we only have one portal, it's a good reason for me to
>> concentrate on fixing what annoys me instead of going to Globe
>> :).
>
> Two more data points:
>
> 1) Much of the time, when I load globe.torproject.org in my
> Iceweasel, I get a blank page. Nothing comes up -- I think maybe
> I'm getting javascript but it's choosing not to render anything on
> the page. It works fine for me in Tor Browser.
>
> 2) When David loads atlas in his Tor Browser with security slider
> set to high, it doesn't load any of the graphs (it displays a big
> red "No Data" in place of each graph).
>
> For the second one, I think that Atlas is pulling its data from
> some third party site, and if you can't reach that site, you don't
> load anything. Whereas maybe Globe fixed that "bug" (aka poor
> design choice) somewhere after the fork?

Or could that problem be related to #18663, in which case neither
Atlas nor Globe were to blame but only Onionoo, or rather the Onionoo
instance hosted at onionoo.torproject.org?

Can you and David try out the following Atlas and Globe mirrors, which
also use an Onionoo mirror, and let me know whether they have the same
issues or not?

https://globe.thecthulhu.com/

https://atlas.thecthulhu.com/

All the best,