[tor-project] Notes from April 21 2016 Vegas team meeting

Kate ailanthus at riseup.net
Wed Apr 27 11:34:29 UTC 2016

Roger Dingledine:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 09:24:24AM -0400, Ian Goldberg wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 08:50:41AM +0200, Karsten Loesing wrote:
>>> 4) Making a donate@ alias for humans, so donations@ can be for
>>> machines? Answer: Shari thinks that would be so incredibly awesome!
>>
>> Can you clarify?  Machines make donations?  Donations of machines?
>> Machines receive the email to that address?
>
> Currently donations@ gets (what feels like) hundreds of mails a day in
> the form of automated paypal emails, letting us know about donations,
> letting us know about other paypal stuff, etc.
>
> At the same time, we tell people on the contact page that they can reach
> us at this address if they want to chat about how to donate things to us.
>
> Because of the volume of automated stuff, it has turned out to not be an
> accurate statement that people can reach us at donations at .
>
> So the idea is to make a separate address which is hopefully lower volume
> and which hopefully people can pay more attention to.
>
> (In an ideal world we have a person or people who keep track of all the
> donation related emails, and send happy responses to all the donors,
> and there's no need for a separate list. We don't live in that ideal
> world yet.)
>
> Hope that helps explain,
> --Roger

Even if we lived in an ideal world, it's hard to distinguish the one
actual personal email from the hundreds of automated requests, which,
though machine generated, are not all the same. I'd vote for a separate
email address for human beings to contact us.

It would be a shame if someone emails us wanting to donate $5,000, or
$100,000, and we miss the email for three weeks. Under the current
system, that is possible. I know because I was on the email list for the
automated emails. It is crazy.

My 2 cents,

-Katie