[tor-project] Plan to retire Globe

isis isis at torproject.org
Mon Apr 25 10:47:37 UTC 2016

Jesse V transcribed 2.9K bytes:
> On 04/23/2016 11:37 AM, Karsten Loesing wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > as the subject says, I suggest that we retire Globe (currently
> > available at https://globe.torproject.org/).
> >
> > The main reason is that Globe is serving a similar purpose as Atlas
> > (available at https://atlas.torproject.org/), which it was forked from
> > several years ago.  Neither Atlas nor Globe are actively developed,
> > they only receive critical bug fixes whenever necessary.  And thanks,
> > Philipp and Isis, for doing that!
> >
> (snip)
> >
> > Suggestions welcome, not only if you strongly object!
>
> This is really unfortunate. I really, really like Globe. In my opinion,
> it looks better and more modern than Atlas. For what it's worth, I vote
> that we keep it running.
>
> Please note that your view count may be skewed by the fact that there
> are some mirrors of Globe, such as https://globe.thecthulhu.com. Looks
> like that same domain also hosts a mirror of Atlas.

Hey Jesse,

Thanks for volunteering to be the new maintainer!  I'll transfer all the Globe
tickets over to you this afternoon. ;)

In all seriousness though:

 - I despise Javascript.
 - There's more important things I can spend time on.
 - The build system is janky and broken (not to mention insecure due to NPM).
 - Removing our Globe service doesn't prevent the community from running
   mirrors, as it's open source and only requires open data from Onionoo.
 - We're not losing any functionality, because (as Karsten mentioned) Philipp
   and I have done features and bug fixes in tandem, often even
   re-componentising the same tickets between Atlas and Globe.
 - Why we ever had two of the same thing was always a mystery to me.

I vote for killing it.

Best Regards,
--
 ♥Ⓐ isis agora lovecruft