[tor-project] [VISIBLE CHANGE] New plug-ins installed on Trac and reorg of components

isabela isabela at torproject.org
Sun Apr 17 19:21:24 UTC 2016

Hello Tor,

tl;dr; We installed a few new plug-ins to Trac and re-organized the
components - please check out and give us feedback or report any issues!

I am very happy to announce that we now have new plug-ins on Trac that
will hopefully make the life of those who uses it all the time a little
bit less painful ;)

==> What plug-ins?

Ticket Organisation Improvements:
    Plug-in: https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/SubcomponentsPlugin
    This plugin would allow for subcomponents of a component in a way
that is still easy to interact with the component as a whole.

Ticket Triaging Improvements:
    Plug-in: https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/DuplicateTicketSearchPlugin
    Shows a list of possibly matching/related tickets (and their current
status) when you're making a new ticket.

UI Improvements
    Plug-in https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/AutocompleteUsersPlugin
    Autocompletion for CC field (by "real" name and trac username). This
should help remove errors where Alice thinks Bob has been CCed (but the
trac username that Alice entered was typoed or doesn't exist), and then
Alice gets angry that Bob didn't help/comment.

    Plug-in https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/DefaultCcPlugin
    Add a default list of people to the CC list for new tickets, based
on their component. Should be helpful when a component is commonly
worked on by multiple people.

==> Loving it! But what if I have some feedback?

We will be collecting feedback over email or here in this pad:
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/5L7ynPhbqVIKHuFfiubFgWgsfa3FPluiibmZvPyNafS

Please use this pad especially if you have feedback on how we
re-organized the components and named the master ones.
If you want to just share over email list is fine. I will be aggregating
them in the pad too.

==> Oops! I found a bug!

If you find a bug please use Trac to file a ticket! The old 'Service -
trac' component - is now under 'Internal Services':
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/newticket

==> Who did this? Where this came from?
When I started at Tor almost one year ago I wrote this proposal for how
we could be using trac to organize our work:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1luDGhBRw2eJxJ4JKlPlF2CCIqMRCFP35NRuM2scBSh8/edit

If you look at it you will that it actually has way more plug-ins than
we actually ended up installing. The reason is that I got some great
help from Isis who looked at them and gave some suggestion on what to
actually use and what to not use. (Thanks Isis!!!)

Later, I got a small budget to pay a person to do this gig for us. Which
is how Juga got involved :) She was hired to do all the process of
getting these goodies there.

Once she had things working in a testing environment I sent an email to
this list inviting folks to test the plug-ins where I also asked for
feedback on the re-org of components, which I got from a few people and
since there were no bugs we decided we could move forward with actually
getting these changes into production. (thanks juga!! ps: no she is not
on this list but I am thanking her anw)

We also got amazing help from weasel who stet up the dev environment for
juga as well as getting things on production today. (thanks weasel!!)

==> Why it took so long tho?
Mostly my fault :( I was too busy to get Juga what she wanted in a good
timing -- but better late than never!

Ufa! that's it. If you have any technical specific questions I can get
them to Juga too.

Thanks everyone, hope you enjoy it.
Isabela

--
PM at TorProject.org
gpg fingerprint = 8F2A F9B6 D4A1 4D03 FDF1  B298 3224 4994 1506 4C7B