[tor-project] Notes from April 7 2016 Vegas team meeting

Virgil Griffith i at virgil.gr
Fri Apr 15 18:19:37 UTC 2016

Nathan, you might enjoy this story.

I was demoing OnionLink at FOSSAsia, and talking about Tor, etc.  At
the end of the demo a chinese woman came up to me and asked whether
this "Tor" thing I spoke of was as good as the Orbot she used on her
phone, because she knew from experience that Orbot was very good, but
she wasn't sure she could trust this "Tor" thing. [I assured her that
Tor was indeed just as good as her trusted Orbot.]

I thought this was powerfully illuminating of the importance of mobile
outside of the West.  Many of these users do not have a laptop, they
merely have their PC at work/home, and a large phablet-like device on
which they do everything else.

In short: Nathan, you are right that mobile well deserves a first-tier
platform and not play second-fiddle.

-V