[tor-packagers] New Tor releases: 0.4.6.3-rc and 0.4.5.8

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Mon May 10 14:20:08 UTC 2021

Hi, all!

There's a new stable release (0.4.5.8) and a new release candidate
forr the upcoming series (0.4.6.3-rc) available for download at
https://dist.torproject.org/ .  I'll send out official announcements
later today.

If you can, please remember to try out alpha releases on  your
platform, especially if you're building for something besides Linux,
Windows, or OSX: it really helps us to know about bugs before the
releases are stable.  Please report issues at
https://bugs.torproject.org/ so we aren't reliant on my inbox
management skills. :)

Here are the changelogs:

Changes in version 0.4.6.3-rc - 2021-05-10
  Tor 0.4.6.3-rc is the first release candidate in its series. It fixes
  a few small bugs from previous versions, and adds a better error
  message when trying to use (no longer supported) v2 onion services.

  Though we anticipate that we'll be doing a bit more clean-up between
  now and the stable release, we expect that our remaining changes will
  be fairly simple. There will likely be at least one more release
  candidate before 0.4.6.x is stable.

  o Major bugfixes (onion service, control port):
    - Make the ADD_ONION command properly configure client authorization.
      Before this fix, the created onion failed to add the client(s).
      Fixes bug 40378; bugfix on 0.4.6.1-alpha.

  o Minor features (compatibility, Linux seccomp sandbox):
    - Add a workaround to enable the Linux sandbox to work correctly
      with Glibc 2.33. This version of Glibc has started using the
      fstatat() system call, which previously our sandbox did not allow.
      Closes ticket 40382; see the ticket for a discussion of trade-offs.

  o Minor features (compilation):
    - Make the autoconf script build correctly with autoconf versions
      2.70 and later. Closes part of ticket 40335.

  o Minor features (geoip data):
    - Update the geoip files to match the IPFire Location Database, as
      retrieved on 2021/05/07.

  o Minor features (onion services):
    - Add a warning message when trying to connect to (no longer
      supported) v2 onion services. Closes ticket 40373.

  o Minor bugfixes (build, cross-compilation):
    - Allow a custom "ar" for cross-compilation. Our previous build
      script had used the $AR environment variable in most places, but
      it missed one. Fixes bug 40369; bugfix on 0.4.5.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (compiler warnings):
    - Fix an indentation problem that led to a warning from GCC 11.1.1.
      Fixes bug 40380; bugfix on 0.3.0.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (logging, relay):
    - Emit a warning if an Address is found to be internal and tor can't
      use it. Fixes bug 40290; bugfix on 0.4.5.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (onion service, client, memory leak):
    - Fix a bug where an expired cached descriptor could get overwritten
      with a new one without freeing it, leading to a memory leak. Fixes
      bug 40356; bugfix on 0.3.5.1-alpha.

Changes in version 0.4.5.8 - 2021-05-10
  Tor 0.4.5.8 fixes several bugs in earlier version, backporting fixes
  from the 0.4.6.x series.

  o Minor features (compatibility, Linux seccomp sandbox, backport
from 0.4.6.3-rc):
    - Add a workaround to enable the Linux sandbox to work correctly
      with Glibc 2.33. This version of Glibc has started using the
      fstatat() system call, which previously our sandbox did not allow.
      Closes ticket 40382; see the ticket for a discussion of trade-offs.

  o Minor features (compilation, backport from 0.4.6.3-rc):
    - Make the autoconf script build correctly with autoconf versions
      2.70 and later. Closes part of ticket 40335.

  o Minor features (fallback directory list, backport from 0.4.6.2-alpha):
    - Regenerate the list of fallback directories to contain a new set
      of 200 relays. Closes ticket 40265.

  o Minor features (geoip data):
    - Update the geoip files to match the IPFire Location Database, as
      retrieved on 2021/05/07.

  o Minor features (onion services):
    - Add warning message when connecting to now deprecated v2 onion
      services. As announced, Tor 0.4.5.x is the last series that will
      support v2 onions. Closes ticket 40373.

  o Minor bugfixes (bridge, pluggable transport, backport from 0.4.6.2-alpha):
    - Fix a regression that made it impossible start Tor using a bridge
      line with a transport name and no fingerprint. Fixes bug 40360;
      bugfix on 0.4.5.4-rc.

  o Minor bugfixes (build, cross-compilation, backport from 0.4.6.3-rc):
    - Allow a custom "ar" for cross-compilation. Our previous build
      script had used the $AR environment variable in most places, but
      it missed one. Fixes bug 40369; bugfix on 0.4.5.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (channel, DoS, backport from 0.4.6.2-alpha):
    - Fix a non-fatal BUG() message due to a too-early free of a string,
      when listing a client connection from the DoS defenses subsystem.
      Fixes bug 40345; bugfix on 0.4.3.4-rc.

  o Minor bugfixes (compiler warnings, backport from 0.4.6.3-rc):
    - Fix an indentation problem that led to a warning from GCC 11.1.1.
      Fixes bug 40380; bugfix on 0.3.0.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (controller, backport from 0.4.6.1-alpha):
    - Fix a "BUG" warning that would appear when a controller chooses
      the first hop for a circuit, and that circuit completes. Fixes bug
      40285; bugfix on 0.3.2.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (onion service, client, memory leak, backport from
0.4.6.3-rc):
    - Fix a bug where an expired cached descriptor could get overwritten
      with a new one without freeing it, leading to a memory leak. Fixes
      bug 40356; bugfix on 0.3.5.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (testing, BSD, backport from 0.4.6.2-alpha):
    - Fix pattern-matching errors when patterns expand to invalid paths
      on BSD systems. Fixes bug 40318; bugfix on 0.4.5.1-alpha. Patch by
      Daniel Pinto.