[tor-packagers] Tor 0.4.5.4-rc is released

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Fri Jan 22 16:54:37 UTC 2021

Hello, there's a new release candidate out for 0.4.5.4-rc.  You can
get it at the usual place at https://dist.torproject.org/

We hope we're almost out of bugs; we're currently planning to do
somewhere between zero and one more release candidates before this
release series is finally stable.

As usual, you can find more about our planned release schedule at
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/team/-/wikis/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases

Here's what's new:

Changes in version 0.4.5.4-rc - 2021-01-22
  Tor 0.4.5.4-rc is the second release candidate in its series. It fixes
  several bugs present in previous releases.

  We expect that the stable release will be the same, or almost the
  same, as this releasee candidate, unless serious bugs are found.

  o Major bugfixes (authority, IPv6):
    - Do not consider multiple relays in the same IPv6 /64 network to be
      sybils. Fixes bug 40243; bugfix on 0.4.5.1-alpha.

  o Major bugfixes (directory cache, performance, windows):
    - Limit the number of items in the consensus diff cache to 64 on
      Windows. We hope this will mitigate an issue where Windows relay
      operators reported Tor using 100% CPU, while we investigate better
      solutions. Fixes bug 24857; bugfix on 0.3.1.1-alpha.

  o Minor feature (build system):
    - New "make lsp" command to generate the compile_commands.json file
      used by the ccls language server. The "bear" program is needed for
      this. Closes ticket 40227.

  o Minor features (authority, logging):
    - Log more information for directory authority operators during the
      consensus voting process, and while processing relay descriptors.
      Closes ticket 40245.
    - Reject obsolete router/extrainfo descriptors earlier and more
      quietly, to avoid spamming the logs. Fixes bug 40238; bugfix
      on 0.4.5.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (compilation):
    - Fix another warning about unreachable fallthrough annotations when
      building with "--enable-all-bugs-are-fatal" on some compilers.
      Fixes bug 40241; bugfix on 0.4.5.3-rc.
    - Change the linker flag ordering in our library search code so that
      it works for compilers that need the libraries to be listed in the
      right order. Fixes bug 33624; bugfix on 0.1.1.0-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (config, bridge):
    - Don't initiate a connection to a bridge configured to use a
      missing transport. This change reverts an earlier fix that would
      try to avoid such situations during configuration chcecking, but
      which doesn't work with DisableNetwork. Fixes bug 40106; bugfix
      on 0.4.5.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (onion services):
    - Avoid a non-fatal assertion in certain edge-cases when
      establishing a circuit to an onion service. Fixes bug 32666;
      bugfix on 0.3.0.3-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (relay):
    - If we were unable to build our descriptor, don't mark it as having
      been advertised. Also remove an harmless BUG(). Fixes bug 40231;
      bugfix on 0.4.5.1-alpha.