[tor-packagers] Tor 0.4.5.3-rc is now released

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Tue Jan 12 17:50:37 UTC 2021

Hello!

Tor 0.4.5.3-rc is now available for download at
https://dist.torproject.org/ .  Official announcements will follow
once the website has updated.

Here's the changelog.

Changes in version 0.4.5.3-rc - 2021-01-12
  Tor 0.4.5.3-rc is the first release candidate in its series. It fixes
  several bugs, including one that broke onion services on certain older
  ARM CPUs.

  Though we anticipate that we'll be doing a bit more clean-up between
  now and the stable release, we expect that our remaining changes will
  be fairly simple. There will be at least one more release candidate
  before 0.4.5.x is stable.

  o Major bugfixes (onion service v3):
    - Stop requiring a live consensus for v3 clients and services, and
      allow a "reasonably live" consensus instead. This allows v3 onion
      services to work even if the authorities fail to generate a
      consensus for more than 2 hours in a row. Fixes bug 40237; bugfix
      on 0.3.5.1-alpha.

  o Minor features (crypto):
    - Fix undefined behavior on our Keccak library. The bug only
      appeared on platforms with 32-byte CPU cache lines (e.g. armv5tel)
      and would result in wrong digests. Fixes bug 40210; bugfix on
      0.2.8.1-alpha. Thanks to Bernhard Übelacker, Arnd Bergmann and
      weasel for diagnosing this.

  o Minor features (documentation):
    - Mention the "!badexit" directive that can appear in an authority's
      approved-routers file, and update the description of the
      "!invalid" directive. Closes ticket 40188.

  o Minor bugfixes (compilation):
    - Fix a compilation warning about unreachable fallthrough
      annotations when building with "--enable-all-bugs-are-fatal" on
      some compilers. Fixes bug 40241; bugfix on 0.3.5.4-alpha.
    - Fix the "--enable-static-tor" switch to properly set the "-static"
      compile option onto the tor binary only. Fixes bug 40111; bugfix
      on 0.2.3.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (config, bridge):
    - Really fix the case where torrc has a missing ClientTransportPlugin
      but is configured with a Bridge line and UseBridges. Previously,
      we didn't look at the managed proxy list and thus would fail for
      the "exec" case. Fixes bug 40106; bugfix on 0.4.5.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (logging, relay):
    - Log our address as reported by the directory authorities, if none
      was configured or detected before. Fixes bug 40201; bugfix
      on 0.4.5.1-alpha.
    - When a launching bandwidth testing circuit, don't incorrectly call
      it a reachability test, or trigger a "CHECKING_REACHABILITY"
      control event. Fixes bug 40205; bugfix on 0.4.5.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (relay, statistics):
    - Report the correct connection statistics in our extrainfo
      documents. Previously there was a problem in the file loading
      function which would wrongly truncate a state file, causing the
      wrong information to be reported. Fixes bug 40226; bugfix
      on 0.4.5.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (SOCKS5):
    - Handle partial SOCKS5 messages correctly. Previously, our code
      would send an incorrect error message if it got a SOCKS5 request
      that wasn't complete. Fixes bug 40190; bugfix on 0.3.5.1-alpha.