[tor-packagers] Proposal: Removal of unmaintained service files

mh mh+fedora at scrit.ch
Fri Jan 24 14:15:18 UTC 2020

> contrib/dist
>   * rc.subr - script
>   * tor.service.in - systemd service ini file
>
> Do any of your distribution packages use these files?
> If you only use one of them, please let us know which one.
>
> We're aware that these files don't work for some users. But we don't
> know which changes we should be making to these files, so they work
> for most users.
>
> Please open tickets to upstream any changes that you've made for
> your distribution:
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor
> If there are multiple conflicting changes, we'll consult this list to
> work out which changes to apply upstream.

Fedora ships its own version:
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/tor/tree/master

It's close to upstream, though a few things are different due to Fedora
specialties (e.g. SELinux).

When I look at #30797 I would argue these are mostly not bugs but
enhancements, except for Apprmor (#16782), which merged upstream would
weaken security on all non-apparmor secured platforms.

And there I would even argue, if we don't add AppArmorProfile, we don't
need to weaken.

So I am not sure we can conclude that the systemd unit is not working
when you build tor from source.

In general I think it's good to have a starting point upstream that
works for most.

But well if there is no collaboration upstream (I am not really in a
position to take that over) and tor devs don't think they know enough,
it can also be dropped.

best

Marcel