[tor-packagers] torbrowser package on NetBSD

Thomas Klausner wiz at NetBSD.org
Mon May 27 12:47:21 UTC 2019

Hi Nicolas!

Thanks for the reply!

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 12:40:29PM +0100, Nicolas Vigier wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2019, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> > There are no tarballs. Please provide some! :)
>
> The next Tor Browser alpha release (which will be released next week)
> will include source tarballs for firefox, torbutton and tor-launcher:
>
> For the stable release, this should be included in the first 8.5 stable
> release (currently planned for early April).

I saw that these exist now. Great! Thank you! I've switched the pkgsrc
package to use them.

I'm not sure if I should package torbutton or tor-launcher.

Is torbutton included in the
src-firefox-tor-browser-60.7.0esr-8.5-1-build1.tar.xz? If not, how
should this be packaged exactly? (I.e. installed in a particular
subdirectory of tor-browser?)

What is tor-launcher, is that torbrowser-launcher? Does that make
sense on platforms where binary tor packages are not provided by the
tor project?

> > tor-browser defaults to using socks port 9150, but tor defaults to
> > port 9050. Why is that so? Is there an intended way (configure flag?)
> > to change the tor-browser default?
>
> Tor Browser includes its own tor daemon. It is using a different port
> so it does not conflict with the one that might be installed on the
> system.
>
> It is possible to change the ports used with the TOR_SOCKS_PORT and
> TOR_CONTROL_PORT environment variables:
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBrowser/Hacking#UsinganExistingTorProcess
>
> It is also possible to change the pref network.proxy.socks_port in
> tor-browser.git/browser/app/profile/000-tor-browser.js, and
> extensions.torlauncher.control_port in
> tor-launcher.git/src/defaults/preferences/prefs.js.

tor daemon is not included in the pkgsrc package for tor-browser, it's
a separate package that is installed automatically whenever
tor-browser is installed (but with tor's defaults, i.e. 9050). What
would you suggest is the preferred solution here, patching the two
javascript files so that the standard tor daemon is used? I want to
make running tor-browser as easy as possible by default.

> > I've inherited the attached patch from the previous version of the
> > package. It changes the default directory to one in the user's home,
> > which makes more sense to me on a Unix system where the program is
> > installed in a public path. Would this patch be acceptable for
> > inclusion, or what do you suggest?
>
> I opened a ticket about this:

Thanks. This looks like an internal discussion has started about it
but fizzled out; I hope it gets resolved at some point.

Cheers,
 Thomas