[tor-onions] Why do TorProject support the removal of RMS?

Matthew Finkel sysrqb at torproject.org
Sun Mar 28 18:17:46 UTC 2021

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 11:28:56AM +0000, Jacob Hrbek wrote:
> DISCLAIMER: I tried to find a more suitable list, but this one seems to
> be the closest to the topic.
>
> Tor Project is listed on https://rms-open-letter.github.io/ -> What is
> the motivation to sigh this letter?

(Not speaking for The Tor Project, but as a moderator of this list)

Richard Stallman is a person who is toxic to the free software
community, in general.

There was already a thread regarding this topic on tor-relays@:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2021-March/019438.html

While RMS is beloved by many people, the Tor community should not
support his problematic behavior just as we should not accept misconduct
within our community. This directly calls into doubt RMS's leadership
ability of the free software community and Free Software Foundation.

https://selamjie.medium.com/remove-richard-stallman-appendix-a-a7e41e784f88
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2021-March/019465.html
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2021-March/019466.html

Please consider this thread closed, as well. We don't need to reiterate
the previous discussion.