[tor-onions] Matrix/Synapse as Onion Service

shadow shadow at systemli.org
Sat Jul 10 10:22:09 UTC 2021

Hey Silva,

sorry for returning that late.

I wanted to gather information if someone of the operators implemented
it successfully.

I haven't tried it yet, but from what I read about the matrix
architecture, the design is heavily bound to the url, e.g.
my-matrix-server.org

If you would create an onion service with an onion url, the
matrix/synpase service might not be able to handle it correct, because
it won't listen to it / you can't specify it.

For example, if you use the element desktop client, you can specify your
username username e.g. myuser at my-matrix-server.org. But you can't
specify any more connection details, such as connect via
my-user at onionv3url.onion. This is one problem :)

You may can work around this and add an onion service to the web
interface of your matrix server, e.g. element.my-matrix-server.org. So
people might be able to chat via an onion service on the web interface,
but for the desktop client it does not seem to be possible.

But I may just need to try it out and see what roadblocks come up, to
answer your question in a proper way :)

cheers, shadow