[tor-onions] Borg SSH could not resolve hosname

anan anan at disroot.org
Thu Feb 18 21:11:14 UTC 2021

John Scott:
> On Mon, 2021-02-08 at 01:49 +0100, anan wrote:
>> Could not resolve hostname
> What's happening is that Borg is trying to resolve the domain name on
> its own instead of leaving Tor to do the job. This leaves traces for
> your internet service provider (or whoever else resolves your DNS
> queries), so if you need to keep the fact that you tried connecting
> confidential, this should be taken seriously. Otherwise you may wish to
> ignore it.
>
> Does the same message appear when using SSH?

Hey, thanks for the answer!

torsocks ssh works perfectly, I get no error message.

Borg is supposed to use SSH for communication, so I don't understand why
I get those name resolution errors. Borg does its job, it works ok
through torsocks, but it shows those name resolution error messages.

PS. By the way, I originally sent my question to this list, but it was
never approved by the moderator (or there was another problem I don't
know), so then I sent my message to the tor-talk list and it was finally
approved there. But now I get an answer in this list, where my question
has never been published as far as I know...
I don't understand anything :)