[tor-onions] Onion-routing of The Free Software Foundation Europe

Silvia/Hiro hiro at torproject.org
Mon Feb 1 15:15:37 UTC 2021

Hi Jacob,
Sorry for the late reply.

On 1/27/21 9:57 PM, kreyren at rixotstudio.cz wrote:
> [...]
>>> relevant information to the implementation is appreciated as i am
>>> currently struggling with making the TLS-over-onion work there where
>>> apache should strip the TLS when the website is accessed over onions.
>>> Any relevant information appreciated.
>> I am not particularly familiar with the specific Apache syntax but why
>> do you want to strip the TLS?
>> Can't you just specify a different configuration for the onion in Apache
>> where TLS is not used? Like a different VirtualHost that use port 80 for
>> the onion?
>>
>>> About Nginx -> Currently not an option as the website is already using
>>> Apache.
>>>
>>> About EOTK -> I would like to implement this as an alternative
>>> configuration for system hackers to have a choice and do their research
>>> more efficiently and I assume that being a better implementation here as
>>> we currently want to onionize gitea service which based on my experience
>>> on https://git.dotya.ml requires changing of non-relative links within
>>> the webapp (which can be done in nginx/apache, but seems to be painful
>>> to maintain?).
>> What do you mean alternative configuration?
>>
>> We are also working on a library of scripts for different configuration
>> systems. For example:
>> https://gitlab.torproject.org/hiro/terraform-onions for terraform.
>>

>>> FWIW i am also considering decentralization for the static pages where
>>> the theory is to reduce the system load, make the websites less
>>> vulnerable to (D)DoS and make the websites to load faster as the
>>> webserver would be closer to the client in question. I am not aware of
>>> sane configuration for this over onions, but any relevant info appreciated.
>>>
>> Do you mean serving the static pages from different mirrors?
>> I think in this case you might want to consider using a v3 onionbalance
>> master onion and implement a few fronts and then add all their onion
>> addresses to onionbalance's configuration and run it. If DoS over onion
>> is a big concern for you I think running 2/3 fronts is a good idea.
>>
>> Let me know if this helps.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -hiro

> How realistic is (D)DoS over onion on FSFE? Afaik onion-service (v3)
> should have a mitigation for that?
>
> If the (D)DoS over onion on the tor daemon is a concern then:
> 1. How to prevent Onion (D)DoS on static pages?
> 2. How to handle (D)DoS on the Gitea instance? The Proof-of-work is
> currently not an option as the access to that is granted only to the
> supporters so i guess the concern would be git pulling?
> 3. The login prompt on https://id.fsfe.org/authorization seems to be a
> concern where captcha + rate limitation per IP seems a sufficient solution?
>
>  > What do you mean alternative configuration?
>
> Afaik the system hackers are currently working on a solution using
> apache where i understand that EOTK would be independent from apache as

I am not sure I follow you with this. EOTK produces nginx configs as the
result of running a number of scripts. Are you porting these to apache?

>  > https://gitlab.torproject.org/hiro/terraform-onion
>
> I don't have access to view that so waiting for an account atm

The link is public.

> About decentralization the proof-of-concept is
> https://thedecentralizedweb.com/ (not necessary that this solution would
> be used) where the current theory of implementation is allowing anyone
> to provide a mirror of the website to join the decentralized stack so
> that from the point of view of the user the website is the same without
> any noticable changes, but reachable from multiple machines to do load
> balancing and routing optimization.
>
> The current idea is using self-deployed DNS server that would do the
> load balancing with some logic to verify that the served website has not
> been altered from the main one where the onion-balance with few tweaks
> might be a good solution for onion services, but i don't know how
> painful it would be to implement it to allow painless integration of
> mirrors atm.

I don't have a solution for your decentralized setup at the moment. I
think this problem is more related to decentralization that onions
deployment and you might have more luck requesting for help somewhere else.

> About apache i think i made it to work the way i want atm, will let you
> know about the result as i do more research and based on the input from
> system hackers (that are in charge of the implementation).

Ok good to know.

Cheers,
-hiro