[tor-onions] The problem of finding hidden Tor service after server restart

Mariusz Otlewski mariuszotlewski at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 20:17:01 UTC 2020

Hi All,

I have several Raspberry Pi with hidden Tor service - I use this to connect
to Raspberry over ssh. It works very well.
I noticed that after restarting the raspberry, I have to wait a while for
the hidden service to be found in the Tor network again.
It's okay if I wait a minute, but sometimes I have to wait 5, 10 or even 15
minutes before the .onion address is found in the Tor network and I can
connect to it.
While waiting, I have a message in TorBrowser: *Onionsite Not Found*, in
Torify: *Host unreachable*

So I have a few questions.
What determines the time after which I can find a hidden service on the Tor?
Is it possible somehow to force a faster propagation of the availability of
.onion address on the network?

I've done a lot of testing but it looks very random.

Could you please help clarify this point?

Best Regards

Manieck