[tor-onions] The problem of finding hidden Tor service after server restart

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Mon Dec 21 00:26:53 UTC 2020

On 28.10.2020 21:16, Mariusz Otlewski wrote:

> I have several Raspberry Pi with hidden Tor service - I use this to
> connect
> to Raspberry over ssh. It works very well.
> I noticed that after restarting the raspberry, I have to wait a while
> for
> the hidden service to be found in the Tor network again.
> It's okay if I wait a minute, but sometimes I have to wait 5, 10 or
> even 15
> minutes before the .onion address is found in the Tor network and I can
> connect to it.

> So I have a few questions.
> What determines the time after which I can find a hidden service on the
> Tor?
> Is it possible somehow to force a faster propagation of the
> availability of
> .onion address on the network?
>
> I've done a lot of testing but it looks very random.
>
> Could you please help clarify this point?

Uhh. Have read some research papers the last few days
https://www.freehaven.net/anonbib/ and play with vanguards.
Onion services is all about security for hidden services, not speed.
Onion services don't have DNS. It takes a while. Hidden service & DDoS
protection delayed advertise onion service I think.
The circuit structure is explained here.
https://tor.void.gr/docs/onion-services.html.en

For onion services I have chosen a set of stable EntryNodes,
HSLayer2Nodes and HSLayer3Nodes.
Maybe this helps a little bit.
Which port do you have for SSH?
If not 22 add him to the "long-lived" ports. (Default: 21, 22, 706,
1863, 5050, 5190, 5222, 5223, 6667, 6697, 8300.)

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!