[tor-onions] brute forcing Onion domains

teor teor at riseup.net
Mon Apr 27 00:52:35 UTC 2020

Hi,

V2 onions are a truncated SHA1. Doing an entire hash is expensive.

V3 onions are an ed25519 key plus a suffix. So if you're just looking
for a prefix, you can choose a random value. Then increment by the
basepoint until you find the prefix you want. (This is a relatively
cheap operation, because you're just adding 255-bit numbers.)

You can save the expensive suffix calculations for the final
candidate keys.

Here's one implementation:
https://github.com/Yawning/horse25519/blob/master/src/horse25519.c#L209

This is a summary: there are a few important details to get right,
like key masking and security.

teor