[tor-onions] HSv3 load balancing: not yet?

rossulbricht at cock.li rossulbricht at cock.li
Tue Sep 24 15:19:52 UTC 2019

I read the tor hsv3 specs and saw some parts considering load balancing.

===
1.5. In more detail: Scaling to multiple hosts

    This design is compatible with our current approaches for scaling
hidden
    services. Specifically, hidden service operators can use onionbalance
    achieve high availability between multiple nodes on the HSDir
    layer. Furthermore, operators can use proposal 255 to load balance
their
    hidden services on the introduction layer. See [SCALING-REFS] for
further
    discussions on this topic and alternative designs.
===
    The reason for a maximum value of 20 is to give enough scalability to
tools
    like OnionBalance to be able to load balance up to 120 servers (20 x
6
    HSDirs) but also in order for the descriptor size to not overwhelmed
hidden
    service directories with user defined values that could be gigantic.
===

So... can we benefit from this? Onionbalance seems to have been
abandoned
and prop255 seems to have stalled. Is there any effective way to
properly
load balance hsv3?