[tor-onions] Multiple onions services. One url.

teor teor at riseup.net
Tue Jun 11 15:36:19 UTC 2019

Hi,

> On 11 Jun 2019, at 19:06, Jason S. Evans <jsevans at emailme.cz> wrote:
>
> I'm wondering, what happens one someone creates an onion service with one hostname and private key at two or more locations?

The private key determines the public key, which determines the hostname.
The public key also determines the position on the HSDir hash ring.

> Does the Tor network have a way of ignoring the all but one, or is there some form of chaos as to where traffic actually goes?

All services with the same key upload their descriptors to the same HSDirs.
Each service uploads at a random time.

The HSDirs keep the most recent descriptor.

It's a crude form of load-balancing.
And some large onion sites use it.

(The details are slight different in v2 and v3.
But it works pretty much the same in both versions.)