[tor-onions] Onion Service Monitoring

shadow shadow at systemli.org
Sat Dec 28 16:50:00 UTC 2019

Dear fellow Onion Service operators,

I'm curios how you monitor the availability of your onion services?

I implemented a solution with icinga2 check commands. It basically
queries the onion service via torsocks and check_tcp command [1].

> object CheckCommand "check_tor_onion" {
>   command = [ "torsocks", PluginDir + "/check_tcp" ]
>   timeout = 6m
>   arguments = {
>     "-H" = "$hostname$"
>     "-p" = "$port$"
>     "-t" = "$timeout$"
>   }
> }

This solution is kind of flaky and produces a lot of mail noise, even if
I run it with large timeout value (360s), check attempts and retry
intervals.

Recently I came across the tool called hsprober [2], which looks like a
more compelling option. though it requires a prometheus setup.

Since it is a network, where connections constantly looses connections,
I would like to know how you treat this flakyness. Regardless of which
software stack you use, I'm interested in your concept for monitoring
your onion services from the outside (user side) and from the inside
(server side). And also which tools do you use.

Thank you for any answers and opinions. Have a happy new year.

shadow

[1] - https://www.monitoring-plugins.org/doc/man/check_tcp.html
[2] - https://git.autistici.org/ale/hsprober

best regards | viele Gruesse, shadow at systemli.org

receive my key:
gpg --keyserver zimmermann.mayfirst.org --recv-keys 0x5C6B6ED4248C1F32