[tor-onions] Eventual Success at getting Alt-Svc working for my personal Wordpress blog

Alec Muffett alec.muffett at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 10:20:24 UTC 2018

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 at 11:13, Alec Muffett <alec.muffett at gmail.com> wrote:

> - In my previous email, I cited a fragment of Tor config which I was using
> (0.3.4.8) to create a v3 Onion; I have stopped using v3 onions for the
> testing, for the moment.
>
> - I am not sure if it's something that I did wrong with that V3 config
> (perhaps `HiddenServiceNumIntroductionPoints 3`? or because the same
> 0.3.4.8 daemon is also serving the v2 onion address for EOTK?) but I was
> finding that connections from my desktop machine to the v3 Alt-Svc onion
> were very, very flaky; TorBrowser refused to connect to it, could not
> resolve it in the HSDir, restarting TorBrowser did not help, using `nc` via
> TorBrowser SOCKS would return `Error 4` even though the same onion service
> daemon (running for EOTK) was solidly up.

I should clarify this: *occasionally* the V3 onion would work, but
irregularly and perhaps only 15% of the time; once I replaced the V3 Onion
Address with a V2 address it became solid, and much more quick and reliable
for the client to kick over to using Alt-Svc, generally once the first page
load was complete.

In fact I am kinda wondering if there is a coarse lock (or: side effect of
HTTP/2 pipelining?) that perhaps inhibits Alt-Svc being picked-up and
honoured until after a complete page is finished loading?

    -a

--
http://dropsafe.crypticide.com/aboutalecm