[tor-onions] Debugging an ubuntu / apache2 / tor / ssl setup

Peter Brooks peter.h.m.brooks at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 11:01:17 UTC 2018

I was just wondering if there were any debugging tools you could recommend.

I'm setting up a tor site on ubuntu, using apache2 to work with ssl.
I'm having trouble tracking the errors.

I can see my site is there, but not working. Looking at a well known site:

torsocks --debug  wget --no-check-certificate www.propub3r6espa33w.onion

It works.

When I do it for my site, I get:

1538477773 DEBUG torsocks[8726]: Socks5 received connect reply - ver:
5, rep: 0x05, atype: 0x01 (in socks5_recv_connect_reply() at
socks5.c:525)
1538477773 ERROR torsocks[8726]: Connection refused to Tor SOCKS (in
socks5_recv_connect_reply() at socks5.c:549)

But when I look for the connection refused on the server, I can't find
any reference to it in syslog or in hs.log or hsinfo.log - I've
directed the weblogs to syslog.

Where should I be looking?

I'd like to be able to capture the flow:

https -> tor network -> 127.0.0.2 port 443 -> tor -> apache -> *.php

To see where, and why, it fails. I'd hoped to find a debug option, or
log, that allows me to see the socks5_recv_connect_reply()  being sent
from my server.

Any suggestions?