[tor-onions] HS/Relay Multitenancy

Gareth Llewellyn gareth at brasshorncommunications.uk
Wed Jun 6 15:29:37 UTC 2018

Leading on from a discussion on Reddit's /r/onions;

Given an operator who is "dual stacking" their website on both example.com and example.onion yet finds themselves with spare CPU/RAM/bandwidth and wants to operate a relay too what is the current community opinion of this? (given the caveats / conditions detailed below)

On the inverse I operate a set of Exits [1] but these servers also have secondary services (ssh, grafana, httpd) that are exposed with onion services.

There are recommendations for running multiple relays on the same host to maximize the CPU/bandwidth etc so I'd be interested if the community still opposes the running of HS' and Relays given the following conditions;

1. No anonymity concerns from downtime correlation (example.com == example.onion)
2. Relay daemon is a separate instance to HS daemon
3. Relay daemon and HS daemon bind to different IPs

1. https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#search/flag:exit%20as:AS28715