[tor-onions] ramdisk based onions sites

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 03:58:57 UTC 2018

> Would there a be a significant security/privacy advantage to running a
> .onion site in a VM that lives entirely on a ramdisk?

RAMdisk means in RAM not on media.
That devolves to cold boot, or even FDE, attacks,
both of which are relatively harder or complicated
or short time window than plaintext disk.
Or process and general memory space and I/O
capture in real time by VM parent, hypervisor, etc.

If you can't trust the VM parent, which you
probably can't, the answer might be no, or yes,
depending on the range of capability estimate you
assign to them.

> dumped in the event of an emergency

Some OS have knobs to turn off all swap, dump,
pagefiles, etc that otherwise go to media by default.

Your questions are far too generic so no one can
really help you.

Sit down and chart out your own datasets, risks,
threats, backups, etc. Punch your questions
into any search engine. Learn OS admin as needed.
Etc.