[tor-onions] no connection to tor hidden services on arduino yun/openwrt

Markus m at euse.de
Thu Feb 16 01:52:11 UTC 2017

hi tor-onions list,

after trying my best i'm following the hint [1] to seek for help in this
list.

what i want to achive:

i set up a sensor node running openwrt in an area in germany without wifi.
so i want to connect (to) it via gsm/gprs (german telekom/d1).

connecting from the node to the internet is no problem.

problem is: i cant reach any services on the node from the internet
because the gsm-carrier runs some intransparant internal ipv4-proxy or
switch or whatever to save ipv4-addresses so neither the ip nor dyndns
is working.

my idea to workaround: run tor hidden services on the node. http [2] for
luci/graphical admin interface and ssl [3] for general administrative tasks.
for setup i followed one general howto [4] and one ssl specific [5]. i
tried to
debug via [1].
i enclosed my torrc further down.

i waited over one hour for tor to broadcast its new services. but not
even just the hello-world-page is
popping up in my clients tor browser. didnt even try to connect to ssl yet.

checked server config, curl 127.0.0.1:8080 is returning hello-world,
checked tor config and files over and over.
the tor browser on the client is working.
no idea what else to try.

i go to bed now. but i appreciate every hint and will report back
tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.
thanks in advance.
mois

#### /etc/tor/torrc

## Basic configuration
Log notice syslog
RunAsDaemon 1
DataDirectory /etc/tor
User tor

## Hidden service configuration
HiddenServiceDir /etc/tor/hidden_service
HiddenServicePort 80 127.0.0.1:8080
HiddenServiceDir /etc/tor/hidden_ssh
HiddenServicePort 2233 127.0.0.1:2233

##EOF