[tor-onions] [warn] connection_edge_process_relay_cell (at origin) failed

Joe Renege genericjoe76 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 16:38:10 UTC 2017

Hi!

I have a hidden service on Tor 0.2.9.10 and a log file filled with:

[warn] connection_edge_process_relay_cell (at origin) failed.

The warnings appear about a minute after starting up and every 30
seconds afterwards. Service eventually degrades to only accepting a
fraction of connections.

I can only get the service completely online again with a restart.

To improve uptimes I have the restart running automatically every 20
minutes. I hope there is a more elegant solution to the problem.

Maybe worth saying that this only became an issue when the service
started experiencing much higher traffic volume. Despite high volume
the box is idling, the tor process is at about 5% CPU and there is
lots of available memory.