[tor-onions] My hidden service stop accepting traffic after a week or so

David Goulet dgoulet at ev0ke.net
Mon Sep 19 21:55:07 UTC 2016

On 19 Sep (21:36:19), mdrot at sigaint.org wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This place seems very quite, not sure if this is the right place to ask.

It is for now. We'll see if we need to open a ticket but before that we'll
just verify few things.

> I'm encountering a weird behavior from my tor daemon that's running a
> hidden service, after a week or two, it stops accepting any connections.
> And the only thing that makes it work again is a restart.

Ok so can you provide a bit more information about your server. Do you ran out
of RAM for instance? What kind of error do you get from "torsocks wget"
(assuming HTTP here ;)? One other useful thing would be to enable "info" logs
which will give us much more information.

Add this line in your torrc (usually in /etc/tor/torrc):

    Log info file /full/path/to/log/file

So here are some basics also about how HS works. Every 18 to 24 hours, it will
re-upload a new descriptor to directories, a piece of text that tells how to
reach your service. Once this happens, it's possible the your client is using
an old descriptor and fails to connect. However, since 028, this should be
fixed as we have mechanism to detect that.

The other thing is if the machines is _very_ restricted due to a firewall and
can only reach machines on let's say 53, then thing can crumble here, it could
makes thing quite unstable for reachability for a number of reasons.

Once we dig a bit more into this issue, we'll see if we have a bug thus
requiring to switch to our bug tracker.

> I'm using Tor 0.2.8.7
> Sep 19 23:12:17.607 [notice] Tor v0.2.8.7 (git-cc2f02ef17899f86) running
> on Linux with Libevent 2.0.21-stable, OpenSSL 1.0.1k and Zlib 1.2.8.
>
> I also see a warning like, could this be the cause ?
> [warn] OpenSSL version from headers does not match the version we're
> running with. If you get weird crashes, that might be why. (Compiled with
> 1000114f: OpenSSL 1.0.1t  3 May 2016; running with 100010bf: OpenSSL
> 1.0.1k 8 Jan 2015).

I would doubt this is the issue. Altough if you can fix this, great! I assume
the SSL library you have installed doesn't match the one required by the Tor
binary so somehow packaging issue? or maybe not updated?

The more you can tell us the better it is to understand what's going on.

Cheers!
David