[tor-onions] Renaming Rendezvous Single Onion Services

micah micah at riseup.net
Wed Mar 9 14:23:50 UTC 2016

Aaron Johnson <aaron.m.johnson at nrl.navy.mil> writes:

>> open: very good, traditional, positive word, but with overloaded meaning
>
> For what it’s worth, I like “open onion services” for the reasons Alec
> stated. “Known” and “overt” seem fine to me, but I like the sound and
> connotation of “open” better.

Personally, I feel like 'open' has to broad of a set of overloaded
meanings and could be confused for one of the other meanings that is not
intended. If these are 'open onion services', does that make the others
'closed onion services'?

My vote is for the most obvious, because its name positions it in
relation to existing onion services: 'non-hidden onion services'. The
traditional onion services would then be known as 'hidden onion
services'.

micah