[tor-onions] Hidden Service IP Addresses

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 01:12:43 UTC 2016

> On 28 Jun 2016, at 10:45, Moritz Bartl <moritz at torservers.net> wrote:
>
> On 06/28/2016 02:36 AM, Tim Wilson-Brown - teor wrote:
>>> Can I run a hidden service from the same server as a tor
>> relay (which openly exposes the IP address)?
>> From the same server, yes.
>> If you use the same tor process, it's possible to tell which
>> tor process is hosting both the relay and the hidden service.
>
> Likely also if you just use the same server: there will be downtimes
> that affect both the relay and other services on the same machine, so
> someone who monitors both consensus and onion service availability can
> easily correlate the events.

Yes, Moritz is right - you can correlate server downtimes when services run on the same server.

When tor runs both a relay and onion service, you can correlate at least: guards, event loop delays, and server downtime.
I think there are also other security issues involved, which is why we don't recommend this configuration.

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B