[tor-onions] Hidden Service "Generic SOCKS Error"

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 00:08:42 UTC 2016

> On 21 Jul 2016, at 23:38, Spydar007 <root at spydar007.com> wrote:
>
> > What version of Tor are you running, and on what OS?
>
> Debian 8.5, with Tor version 0.2.7.6 (latest stable from the repository)
>
> > What is the exact error in the Tor client log?
> > Does the hidden service log a client connection (either introduction or rendezvous) at the same time?
> > If you turn on info or debug level logging on your client or hidden service, your logs might give you more information.
>
> Client: http://pastebin.com/Pp5xqNgC
> Server: http://pastebin.com/6Dqu23wV
>
> The earlier logs (which I stupidly deleted), would say about SOCKS errors, but it has now changed to saying it's an invalid onion address. The onion address and private key are definitely correct, and it works when Tor is first loaded. Give it 10 minutes, and it will stop working.

The log message "Invalid onion hostname" is logged by "parse_extended_hostname" when the onion address is the wrong length or the wrong format.

Please retry on the client with the correct address.
Please also capture the failures out of the server log, not just the debug entries at the time - there's likely a disconnection from the network, or a descriptor upload failure.

> Try in your own client if there are other sections of the log you want.

No thanks. Happy to help, but it seems you have some sort of network issue. Adding another client won't tell me much more.

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
OTR 8F39BCAC 9C9DDF9A DF5FAE48 1D7D99D4 3B406880
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n