[tor-onions] Hidden Service "Generic SOCKS Error"

Darcy Marshall root at spydar007.com
Thu Jul 21 05:49:48 UTC 2016

I recently set up a hidden service. The address for this hidden service is spydaroo7gtsipwm.onion.
When I first start Tor on the server, it will work fine.

Then after a while, maybe after a few visits or a few hours, it stops working. Both apache2 and Tor continue to run, but Tor Browser just acts as though it doesn't exist (cannot connect). Logs show errors of "general socks error". Tor2web services like onion.to also stop working and give generic SOCKS error.

The way to fix this is to restart Tor on the server. It then works, but eventually will return to having a socks error.
Does anyone know a reason for why this is happening or how to fix it?

—
Spydar007
http://spydar007.com
PGP Key ID: D3364A0B