[tor-onions] Gitlab as a HS

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 18:10:38 UTC 2016

> On 1 Feb 2016, at 04:45, spriver <spriver at autistici.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> yesterday I tried to setup Gitlab Community Edition as a hidden service.
> Nearly almost worked until I tested the functionality of pushing back
> into the online repo - gitlab's shell told me first this error:
>
> Failed to connect to internal API <POST
> http://http://gitlab.agsdcxdr6z2wbjf5.onion/api/v3/internal/allowed>:
> #<SocketError: getaddrinfo: Name or service not known>
>
> So i configured my server to relay .onion addresses to the Tor DNS port.
> But after that I'm getting the following error:
>
> [2016-01-31T17:24:43.071616 #1219]  WARN -- : Failed to connect to
> internal API <POST
> http://gitlab.agsdcxdr6z2wbjf5.onion/api/v3/internal/allowed>:
> #<Errno::EINVAL: Invalid argument - connect(2) for
> "gitlab.agsdcxdr6z2wbjf5.onion" port 80>
>
> I'm out of ideas for now, does anybody has a clue what can be done now
> to resolve this?

You could make your local tor instance a SOCKS proxy for your gitlab client.
Or you could use torsocks to launch your gitlab shell, and it would do the redirection automatically.

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F