[tor-onions] Automatic "Onionification" of existing websites

Alec Muffett alec.muffett at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 11:40:08 UTC 2016

On 31 Jan 2016 11:07 a.m., "Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) - lists" <
lists at infosecurity.ch> wrote:
> Regarding massive scale deployment, there is this limit actually
> <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/15251>https
<https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/15251>://
<https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/15251>trac.torproject.org
<https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/15251>/projects/
<https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/15251>tor
<https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/15251>/ticket/15251
<https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/15251>

That's a really interesting issue.

I have not considered a use-case where a single daemon would have possibly
many hundreds, if not thousands, of Onion addresses.

I can't see a short or medium-term use-case for a single daemon serving
1000s of Onions (compare: how many servers with thousands of specific,
enumerated IPv4 addresses?) but with Prop224 and changes in use-case
(messaging gateways) certainly it can't be ruled out.

The model I'm most interested in is simpler: a modest number of
high-throughput addresses, perhaps each served by an independent daemon,
publishing a shared address with OnionBalance.

This is quite similar to popular DSR (Direct Server Return) loadbalancing
architectures.

Especially if tvdw's work in rendezvous-handoff works out okay, then this
seems a good medium-perhaps-long-term strategy for web service deployment
on Onions.  Likely OnionBalance on its own would suffice for a year or more.

    -a

> > - web-server config
>
> I feel that on Apache there should be an application module, like
> mod_tor, that once enabled will allow to do something like "OnionService
> on" in the <VirtualHost> directive, having the rest happening in a
> auto-magic way.

That's awesome!  I look forward to seeing it.

    -a