[tor-onions] If you run a Tor hidden service for an Apache server, make sure you disable mod_status

Alec Muffett alec.muffett at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 09:39:48 UTC 2016

On 31 Jan 2016 12:44 a.m., "Jason Cooper" <tor at lakedaemon.net> wrote:

> perhaps 127.0.0.X where X [2-254] ? e.g.
>
> # ip addr add 127.0.0.27 dev lo

I will speculate that that would not achieve what we want to achieve, viz:
separation between an Apache listener on 127.0.0.1 and a Tor HTTP/S
interface on 127.0.0.27.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure that even if it did work on some
operating systems, it might not work / might leave vulnerabilities on some
other operating systems.

My rationale comes from past experience that even if one configured a
localhost loopback on 127.0.0.1, one could telnet/ssh to the same machine
as any of 127.0.0.2-200+ (etc) because the afflicted kernel treated any
network interface marked "loopback" as a huge, unified bucket, delivering
anything that arrived into it (being a /8) to any port-listener,
irrespective of address details.

This was particularly fun to combine with a failure to deploy strict
destination multihoming, my favourite feature to enable when hardening a
host.

So... this _may_ work, but I would test it, or in general recommend use of
proper network interfaces. In an impacted system, Apache would have to be
checking the IP address of the inbound connection and I am not certain that
it would receive the truth, and/or perform the check for itself.

The NSA publish a quite decent set of Linux hardening guidelines. They make
a good start.

Also, another possibly-good thing to do for security is to run your Tor
daemons on an enclave network.  In such a configuration the kernel/services
do not know how to get to / do not have a route to the internet, and
possibly are actually firewalled to prevent them from doing so.  Then any
specific apps (e.g. platform software updates, tor daemon) have to use an
(authenticated?) web or SOCKS proxy to reach the internet.  This helps
reduce your attacker's ability to "pivot".

    -a