[tor-onions] Protect against ddos in tor

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 20:08:30 UTC 2016

> On 29 Jan 2016, at 02:55, Ron Risley <ronqonions at risley.net> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 27, 2016, at 08:24, Flipchan <flipchan at riseup.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all! Great with a new mailing list :) anyhow i was wondering IF anyone have any tips on some good ddos defense for .onion sites , take care
>
> Hi!
>
> Many DDoS attacks, particularly those that use reflection and amplification, rely on the attacker knowing your IP address. Such attacks cannot be used against a properly implemented .onion site, as the service's IP address is hidden.

Alec, I'd be interested in how Facebook has handled attacks like this against its one-hop onion service (RSOS), which has public IP addresses.

Does the existing Facebook infrastructure handle the extra load?
Or are you more focused on firewalls and load balancing?

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F