[tor-onions] web service onionification

Andreas Krey a.krey at gmx.de
Thu Jan 28 11:09:54 UTC 2016

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 03:19:18 +0000, Mike Tigas wrote:
> I'll note that our config *does* try to rewrite protocol-relative URIs;
> it could be simpler and the config grouped a bit better. But for any of
> our domains, the regular expressions attempt to rewrite all three cases
> of http/https/proto-relative clearnet to protocol-relative onion, i.e.
> this line and others like it:
>
> subs_filter (http:|https:)?//(www\.)?propublica\.org/
> //www.propub3r6espa33w.onion/ gir;

Yeah, me reading rexep... But it modifies all the URLs, even outside hrefs
and in plain text. I don't know if that is bad.

> For something that has to play the role of HTTP server or proxy, it'd
> have to be pretty performant, and nginx fits the bill quite well.

I may look into proxying in go sometimes.

> Anyway, sorry for the long reply here.

No worry. I can press 'd' anytime, and this text may well go into the config gist.

> Very interested to hear others' thoughts about this sort of proxying and
> keeping onion-users in onion space.

I have two proto-projects: One would be to externally onionify our
publicly-visible bugtracker, and the other is a bunch of raspberries
where some pages point to each other. Making that so that onions
reliably refer to the onions is...interesting.

Anyway, thanks for the responses. I way afraid that I was simply
too early on the new list to get anything at all. :-)

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@*.org>