[tor-onions] web service onionification

Andreas Krey a.krey at gmx.de
Wed Jan 27 13:06:52 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'm looking for a guide how to take an existing service,
and convert it into an .onion-too service (what facebook
and propublica did).

Problem: Webservices tend to respond to a single URL
only (like http://clearservice.com/), and won't deal
gracefully with requests to http://onionservie.onion/);
i.e. they might redirect to the clearservice address.

propublica has published their nginx setup to deal
with this, but this looks a bit scary.

  For one, they don't seem to rewrite protocol-relative
  URLs like href="//sub.clearservice.com/".

  And then there generally is the question of ensuring
  that no clearnet URL escapes the rewriting. I guess
  for that, you'd need to implement a more thorough
  link checker and not just some ngnix filter rules.

Thoughts on that?

(It also occurred to me that you don't actually
need to be the clearservice org to be able
to set up an onion for them, as long as there
is no https enforced/needed on the onion side.)

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@*.org>