[tor-onions] Renaming Rendezvous Single Onion Services

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) - lists lists at infosecurity.ch
Tue Feb 23 13:44:27 UTC 2016

On 2/23/16 4:14 AM, Paul Syverson wrote:
> So every name's a problem. I think "Hidden Service" was a bad name in
> hindsight in that it focused only on the location hiding and not on
> the provided authentication, and worse, it facilitated stupid pundits
> coining the misleading "Dark Web". That's why I like names like
> "Single-Onion Service" and "Double-Onion Service" that describe the
> technology not what it provides (which can also become a misnomer if
> other features of the service become prominent in use).

+1

> If you want to underscore in the name specifically the not-hidden
> property, then I suggest the best would be 'Rendezvous Located-Onion
> Service'. And Single Onion Service, would be 'Located-Onion Service'.
-1

I think that anybody who configure a Tor for feature that Tor Project
may consider risky from the Anonymity perspect, the right approach is to
look forward what i wrote in this ticket
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/17019 .

"For both NON-ANONYMOUS Tor Hidden Service use-cases (Server and
Client), we can build them in the standard version of Tor by adding a
command line like:

--yes-i-know-that-i-m-going-to-use-non-anonymous-tor-hidden-services-client
(tor2web mode)
--yes-i-know-that-i-m-going-to-use-non-anonymous-tor-hidden-services-server
(encrypted services)"

That way:
- The feature could be described as Paul is suggesting, by it's
technical functionality
- The end-user configuring will be prevented from making mistakes that
may jeopardize it's anonymity

Fabio