[tor-onions] Exit Enclaves 2.0 ?

karsten.n at secure.mailbox.org karsten.n at secure.mailbox.org
Fri Feb 12 19:44:17 UTC 2016

Moritz Bartl wrote:
> I was wondering the same when I saw the instructions published by
mailbox.org last week:

> They operate an exit relay, and suggest to use MapAddress statements and
> the exit notation to use  heir exit for *.mailbox.org. I didn't see this
> previously, and they also don't explicitly enable exit notation, so I
> wondered if that actually works.

It works. You have to enable exit notation only, if you want to enter it
in the URL bar of the browser. MapAddresses with exit notation defined in
torrc are working with default settings.

grarpamp wrote:
> Using the 'router <nickname>' in '.exit' or 'mapaddress' notation is
> nondeterministic... anyone can  poof a relay with the same name....

Yes - you are right. I changed the German tutorials at
https://support.mailbox.org/knowledge-base/articles/tor-service and
replaced the name with fingerprint of the Tor node.

But have a look at Tor docs:
 https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html.en
> For example, if you always want connections to www.example.com to exit
> via torserver (where torserver is the nickname of the server), use
> "MapAddress www.example.com  www.example.com.torserver.exit".

It is not suggested, that fingerprints are possible and more secure. May
be, somebody can update the Tor docs too.

grarpamp wrote:
> Follow this autoresponder if you want...

Thank you for you advice to the discussion here. I closed the ticket
because we can discuss it here directly and it is not required to include
the first-level support of mailbox.org. I will do the recommended steps. I
will try to learn... ;-)

Greetings
Karsten N.