[tor-onions] Exit Enclaves 2.0 ?

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 17:41:53 UTC 2016

> On Sun, Feb 07, 2016 at 01:39:57PM +0100, Moritz Bartl wrote:
>> I was wondering the same when I saw the instructions published by
>> mailbox.org last week:
>> https://support.mailbox.org/knowledge-base/article/der-tor-exit-node-von-mailbox-org
>> (German)
>>
>> They operate an exit relay, and suggest to use MapAddress statements and
>> the exit notation to use their exit for *.mailbox.org. I didn't see this
>> previously, and they also don't explicitly enable exit notation, so I
>> wondered if that actually works.

Using the 'router <nickname>' in '.exit' or 'mapaddress' notation
is nondeterministic... anyone can spoof a relay with the same
name, in that case their enclave intent will at best not be realized,
and at worst will result in MITM attacks upon their users.
That's part of why AllowDotExit is disabled by default.

They need to instead publish and pgp sign their relay fingerprint[s] and
the TLS fingerprint[s] of their service[s] so users can pin them all down.
And change their docs to use the fingerprint style notation instead
of the nickname.

An example, RiseUp and Whonix properly sign their onion proofs...
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/projects/WeSupportTor