[tor-onions] Exit Enclaves 2.0 ?

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Sun Feb 7 12:39:57 UTC 2016

On 02/07/2016 10:41 AM, Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) - lists wrote:
> Years ago there where the so called "Exit Enclaves"
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/ExitEnclave but those
> where abandoned.
>
> That approach was quite cool, because the end-users would had been able
> to just avoid using onion addresses, but keep using internet addresses
> having the very same security properties.
>
> It would be very nice to restore the exit-enclaves concept, reshaping it
> in this new context, so that end-users on Tor Browser could just hist
> www.website.com and, if that website support Tor, his traffic will go
> directly to him as an Exit node.

I was wondering the same when I saw the instructions published by
mailbox.org last week:
https://support.mailbox.org/knowledge-base/article/der-tor-exit-node-von-mailbox-org
(German)

They operate an exit relay, and suggest to use MapAddress statements and
the exit notation to use their exit for *.mailbox.org. I didn't see this
previously, and they also don't explicitly enable exit notation, so I
wondered if that actually works.

This requires manual client-side configuration, but the one-sided
ability to draw traffic for a certain IP (range) to your exit like with
exit enclaves is also not a good property, right?

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/