[tor-onions] IRC Idea

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Thu Feb 4 15:20:41 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 04, 2016 at 01:50:10PM +0100, MacLemon wrote:
> > #tor-onions on OFTC?
> Hasn???t OFTC started to block Tor (at least partially) which was
>the reason some people wanted to move #tor away from OFTC? Or am I
>misinformed there?

Yes, this is probably so, but I don't think we'll get critical mass,
for the simple reason that there's no clear place to move to.

We moved from freenode to oftc, long ago, because oftc had better policies
around Tor (and they still do).

Some fans have suggested that Tor should set up and run its own irc
network. I don't think this is a wise use of our energy.

Long-term I'd like somebody to experiment with an irc proxy that
implements anonymous blacklisting, so we can allow Tor users while also
banning jerks:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/call-arms-helping-internet-services-accept-anonymous-users
But we are now off-topic for this list. :)

--Roger