Tor Weekly News — March 18th, 2015

Harmony harmony01 at riseup.net
Wed Mar 18 16:00:08 UTC 2015

Tor Weekly News                                         March 18th, 2015

Welcome to the eleventh issue in 2015 of Tor Weekly News, the weekly
newsletter that covers what’s happening in the Tor community.

An animated introduction to Tor
-------------------------------

Nima Fatemi announced [1] the release of a short animation offering
Internet users a brief and lively introduction to the tracking and
surveillance they face online, and the ways in which Tor Browser can
protect them. The result of a collaboration between the Tor Project and
KAJART Studio, the video is available for download or sharing online,
with voiceovers in five languages and subtitles in a further three.

“But we still have work to do”, as Nima explained. “If you have an idea
for making better videos and documentation, or if you’re a visual artist
and you can help us explain these complex technologies in simple and
understandable forms to inexperienced users”, then please see the Tor
Project’s website [2] for ways to get in touch; the same goes if you
want this animation to be available in your language. See Nima’s post
for further details, and be sure to share the video with your friends
and contacts!

  [1]: https://blog.torproject.org/blog/releasing-tor-animation
  [2]: https://www.torproject.org/about/contact

Thanks Reddit!
--------------

Following Reddit’s generous donation [3] to the Tor Project, Tor
developers and community members in attendance at the Circumvention Tech
Festival in Valencia responded with a surprise video thank-you
message [4]. Bonus points if you can identify everyone who took part…

  [3]: http://www.redditblog.com/2015/02/announcing-winners-of-reddit-donate.html
  [4]: https://media.torproject.org/video/2015-03-11-Tor_Thanks_Reddit.mov

Miscellaneous news
------------------

Sukhbir Singh announced [5] the release of TorBirdy 0.1.4. This version
of the torifying wrapper for Thunderbird fixes a bug that prevented the
email client from opening if three or more IMAP accounts are configured.
Apart from an update to the Whonix gateway [6], no other features are
introduced in this release.

  [5]: https://blog.torproject.org/blog/torbirdy-014-fifth-beta-and-bug-fix-release
  [6]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2015-March/037249.html

Mike Perry gave details [7] of the Tor Browser release cycle, and
discussed a possible synchronization with the release schedule for the
core Tor software.

  [7]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2015-March/008451.html

Jens Kubieziel published his minutes [8] of the Tor relay operators’
meeting in Valencia.

  [8]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2015-March/006651.html

Sukhbir Singh sent out his status report for February [9], while George
Kadianakis submitted the SponsorR report [10], and Arturo Filastò
reported on the activities of the OONI team in January [11] and
February [12].

  [9]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2015-March/000779.html
 [10]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2015-March/000778.html
 [11]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2015-March/000780.html
 [12]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2015-March/000781.html

David Fifield published the regular summary [13] of costs incurred in
February by the infrastructure for meek.

 [13]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2015-March/008427.html

WhonixQubes offered an update [14] on recent progress in the
Whonix+Qubes project, including architecture improvements, upstream
integration, better documentation, and more.

 [14]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2015-March/037275.html

Thanks to Peter from ftp.yzu.edu.tw for running a mirror of the Tor
Project’s website and software [15]!

 [15]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-mirrors/2015-March/000862.html

Upcoming events
---------------

  Mar 18 13:30 UTC | little-t tor development meeting
                   | #tor-dev, irc.oftc.net

  Mar 18 16:00 UTC | Pluggable tranports meeting
                   | #tor-dev, irc.oftc.net

  Mar 23 18:00 UTC | Tor Browser online meeting
                   | #tor-dev, irc.oftc.net

  Mar 23 18:00 UTC | OONI development meeting
                   | #ooni, irc.oftc.net

  Mar 24 18:00 UTC | little-t tor patch workshop

  Mar 24 - 25      | Roger and Jake @ RightsCon 2015
                   | Manila, Philippines
                   | https://www.rightscon.org/manila/

  Apr 03 20:00 UTC | Tails contributors meeting
                   | #tails-dev, irc.oftc.net
                   | https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-project/2015-March/000159.html

This issue of Tor Weekly News has been assembled by Harmony and Karsten
Loesing.

Want to continue reading TWN? Please help us create this newsletter.
We still need more volunteers to watch the Tor community and report
important news. Please see the project page [16], write down your
name and subscribe to the team mailing list [17] if you want to
get involved!

 [16]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TorWeeklyNews