Tor Weekly News — November 5th, 2014

Harmony harmony01 at riseup.net
Wed Nov 5 13:25:49 UTC 2014

Tor Weekly News                                       November 5th, 2014

Welcome to the forty-fourth issue in 2014 of Tor Weekly News, the weekly
newsletter that covers what’s happening in the Tor community.

Tor 0.2.6.1-alpha is out
------------------------

Following last week’s stabilization of Tor 0.2.5.x, Nick Mathewson
announced [1] the first alpha release in the Tor 0.2.6.x series.
Quoting the changelog, this version “includes numerous code cleanups and
new tests, and fixes a large number of annoying bugs. Out-of-memory
conditions are handled better than in 0.2.5, pluggable transports have
improved proxy support, and clients now use optimistic data for
contacting hidden services.” Support for some very old compilers that do
not understand the C99 programming standard, systems without threading
support, and the Windows CE operating system has also been dropped.

“This is the first alpha release in a new series, so expect there to be
bugs.” If you want to test it out, you can find the source code in the
distribution directory [2].

  [1]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2014-October/035390.html
  [2]: https://dist.torproject.org/

Tor Browser 4.0.1 is out
------------------------

Mike Perry announced [3] a bugfix release by the Tor Browser team.  This
version disables DirectShow [4], which was causing the Windows build of
Tor Browser to crash when visiting many websites [5]. This is not a
security release, but Windows users who have experienced this issue
should upgrade.

Please see Mike’s post for the changelog, and download your copy from
the project page [6].

  [3]: https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-401-released
  [4]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectShow
  [5]: https://bugs.torproject.org/13443
  [6]: https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html

Facebook, hidden services, and HTTPS certificates

Facebook, one of the world’s most popular websites, surprised the
Internet by becoming the most prominent group so far to set up a Tor
hidden service [7]. Rather than connecting through an exit relay,
Facebook users can now interact with the social network without their
traffic leaving the Tor network at all until it reaches its destination.

Soon after the service was announced, some in the Tor community
expressed concern over the implications of its unusually memorable
.onion address [8]. Had Facebook somehow mustered the computing power to
brute-force hidden service keys at will? Alec Muffett, one of the lead
engineers behind the project, clarified [9] that in fact “we just did
the same thing as everyone else: generated a bunch of keys with a fixed
lead prefix (‘facebook’) and then went fishing looking for good ones”,
getting “tremendous lucky” in the process. Those concerned by how easy
this seems, added Nick Mathewson [10], “might want to jump in on
reviewing and improving proposal 224 [11], which includes a brand-new,
even less usable, but far more secure, name format”.

“Why would you want to use Facebook over Tor?” remains a
frequently-asked (and -misunderstood) question, so Roger Dingledine took
to the Tor blog [12] to address this and related issues. “The key point
here is that anonymity isn’t just about hiding from your destination.
There’s no reason to let your ISP know when or whether you’re visiting
Facebook. There’s no reason for Facebook’s upstream ISP, or some agency
that surveils the Internet, to learn when and whether you use Facebook.
And if you do choose to tell Facebook something about you, there’s still
no reason to let them automatically discover what city you’re in today
while you do it.” Not only that, but Facebook is now taking advantage of
the special security properties that hidden services provide, including
strong authentication (letting users be confident that they are talking
to the right server, and not to an impostor) and end-to-end encryption
of their data.

This last point generated some confusion, since Facebook have also
acquired an HTTPS certificate for their hidden service, which might seem
like an unnecessary belt-and-suspenders approach to security. This has
been the subject of “feisty discussions” in the Internet security
community, with many points for and against: on the one hand, users have
been taught that “https is necessary and http is scary, so it makes
sense that users want to see the string “https” in front of” URLs, while
on the other, “by encouraging people to pay Digicert we’re reinforcing
the certificate authority business model when maybe we should be
continuing to demonstrate an alternative.”

Please see Roger’s post for a fuller discussion of all these points and
more, and feel free to contribute your own thoughts on the tor-talk
mailing list [13]. If you experience problems with the service, please
contact Facebook support rather than the Tor help desk; as Alec wrote in
the announcement, “we expect the service to be of an evolutionary and
slightly flaky nature”, as it is an “experiment” — hopefully an
experiment that will, as Roger suggested, “help to continue opening
people’s minds about why they might want to offer a hidden service, and
help other people think of further novel uses for hidden services.”

  [7]: https://www.facebook.com/notes/protect-the-graph/making-connections-to-facebook-more-secure/1526085754298237
  [8]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2014-October/035403.html
  [9]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2014-October/035413.html
 [10]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2014-October/035416.html
 [11]: https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/proposals/224-rend-spec-ng.txt
 [12]: https://blog.torproject.org/blog/facebook-hidden-services-and-https-certs

Monthly status reports for October 2014
---------------------------------------

The wave of regular monthly reports from Tor project members for the
month of October has begun. Juha Nurmi released his report first [14],
followed by reports from Georg Koppen [15], Sherief Alaa [16], Pearl
Crescent [17], Lunar [18], Harmony [19], Sukhbir Singh [20], Colin
C. [21], Leiah Jansen [22], Nick Mathewson [23], Arlo Breault [24], Noel
Torres [25], and George Kadianakis [26].

Lunar reported on behalf of the help desk [27], Arturo Filastò for the
OONI team [28], and Mike Perry for the Tor Browser team [29].

 [14]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-October/000677.html
 [15]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-October/000678.html
 [16]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-October/000679.html
 [17]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-October/000680.html
 [18]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-November/000682.html
 [19]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-November/000683.html
 [20]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-November/000684.html
 [21]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-November/000685.html
 [22]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-November/000687.html
 [23]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-November/000688.html
 [24]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-November/000689.html
 [25]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-November/000690.html
 [26]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-November/000691.html
 [27]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-November/000681.html
 [28]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-November/000686.html
 [29]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-November/000692.html

Miscellaneous news
------------------

Mike Perry updated [30] the Tor Browser design document [31] to cover
Tor Browser version 4.0 — “Feedback welcome! Patches are even more
welcomer!”

 [30]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tbb-dev/2014-October/000148.html
 [31]: https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser/design/

Israel Leiva sent out an update [32] on the progress of the GetTor
redevelopment project.

 [32]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2014-October/007700.html

David Fifield distributed [33] a graph [34] of “the number of
simultaneous relay users for every country, one country per row”.

 [33]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2014-October/007697.html
 [34]: https://people.torproject.org/~dcf/graphs/relays-all.pdf

David also sent out a summary [35] of the costs incurred by the meek
pluggable transport, which have increased significantly following its
incorporation into the latest stable Tor Browser and the consequent
“explosion” in use.

 [35]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2014-November/007716.html

Esfandiar Mohammadi announced [36] the MATor project [37] and
accompanying paper. MATor is a tool that “assesses the influence of
Tor’s path selection on a user’s anonymity”; “since MATor is an ongoing
project, we would appreciate your opinion about the approach in
general.”

 [36]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2014-October/007692.html
 [37]: http://www.infsec.cs.uni-saarland.de/projects/anonymity-guarantees/mator.html

Tor help desk roundup
---------------------

The help desk has been asked if Tor Browser acts as a relay by default.
Tor Browser’s Tor by default acts only as a client, and not as a bridge
relay, exit relay, or relay. Additionally, this is unlikely to change in
the future [38].

 [38]: https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#EverybodyARelay

Upcoming events
---------------

  Nov 03 - 07      | Roger @ WPES and CCS
                   | Phoenix, Arizona, USA
                   | https://www.cylab.cmu.edu/news_events/events/wpes2014/
                   | http://www.sigsac.org/ccs/CCS2014/

  Nov 05 16:00 UTC | Pluggable transports meeting
                   | #tor-dev, irc.oftc.net

  Nov 06 13:30 UTC | little-t tor development meeting
                   | #tor-dev, irc.oftc.net
                   | https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2014-November/007714.html

  Nov 07 17:00 CET | OONI development meeting
                   | #ooni, irc.oftc.net

  Nov 10 18:00 UTC | Tor Browser online meeting
                   | #tor-dev, irc.oftc.net

  Nov 11 17:00 UTC | little-t tor patch workshop
                   | #tor-dev, irc.oftc.net

This issue of Tor Weekly News has been assembled by Lunar, Matt Pagan,
Karsten Loesing, and Harmony.

Want to continue reading TWN? Please help us create this newsletter.
We still need more volunteers to watch the Tor community and report
important news. Please see the project page [39], write down your
name and subscribe to the team mailing list [40] if you want to
get involved!

 [39]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TorWeeklyNews