[tor-news] February 2012 Newsletter

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.is
Mon Mar 5 21:44:52 UTC 2012

* Subscribe: https://www.torproject.org/donate/thankyou

Miss an issue? You can catch up on them all at
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-news/.

# Welcome

Lots of the work we do at the Tor Project is behind-the-scenes. When
it works well, the network grows faster and more reliable, and you may
never notice it! This newsletter is our newest way to highlight some
of the work we've been able to do thanks to your support, and some of
the places we're going next. For those who want more detail, we offer
links to the Tor Blog (https://blog.torproject.org/), metrics portal
(https://metrics.torproject.org), and wiki
(https://trac.torproject.org).

## Highlights of progress from January 2012

The full report is available at
https://archive.torproject.org/monthly-report-archive/2012-January-Monthly-Report.pdf

### New Releases

1. Tor 0.2.3.11-alpha.
2. Orbot 1.0.7, Tor for Android.
3. Tor Browser Bundle 2.2.35-4.
4. Tails 0.10.0 and Tails 0.10.1

### Outreach and Advocacy

1.  Jake gave a talk at LCA 2012 in Australia. A video of his talk is
    available, <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMN2360LM_U>.

2.  Andrew summarized some real-time support experiences over the past
    few months. The original email can be found at
    <https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2012-January/022893.html>.

3.  Andrew met with students at University College London in London, UK
    to run a IRSG seminar about anonymity, usability and security. A
    number of students are interested in studying more about Tor's
    usability and security properties under the direction of Dr. Angela
    Sasse, <http://sec.cs.ucl.ac.uk/people/m_angela_sasse/>. Further
    discussions about crypto challenges for students under Dr. Nicolas
    Courtois, <http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/N.Courtois/>.

4.  Andrew and Runa met with Privacy International,
    <https://www.privacyinternational.org/>, to discuss their growing
    database of surveillance technology, the capabilities, and methods
    to help normal people combat such pervasive, sophisticated
    surveillance apparatus globally.

5.  Karen spoke at the Yahoo! Change Your World! Cairo 2012 Summit,
    <http://ycorpblog.com/2012/01/18/change-your-world/>.

Thanks for your interest in Tor. And thanks for reading this far.

See you next month with another update on progress.

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact