[tor-mirrors] Space needed for a mirror

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Fri Jul 23 23:29:28 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 10:40:30AM -0600, Dave Warren wrote:
> https://2019.www.torproject.org/docs/running-a-mirror.html.en indicates that
> the website and distribution directory currently require 30GB and to expect
> up to 50GB.
>
> dist is currently over 80GB. Is this normal/expected?

Yes. It depends mainly on how many versions of Tor Browser are on dist
at once, and with a stable version and an alpha version, and new releases
coming out, sometimes there are quite a few versions published at once.

> Just wondering if this is temporary, or if I should provision a bit more
> disk space?

It's worse than that -- the running-a-mirror page that you point to is
on the old website, and there is no equivalent on the new website. We
have no plans currently for how to make good use of third-party website
mirrors. We used to send them to people with gettor (for censored users
who can't reach our main websites), but for now putting content on github
and archive.org seems like an easier more scalable approach.

So I think we have the old mirror operators in limbo wondering if it's
useful to continue.

Is it? Should we shut this mirror thing down more thoroughly? Or try to
rescue it to be useful in a new way?

--Roger