[tor-mirrors] New torproject Website and Nginx

Dave Warren dw at thedave.ca
Fri Mar 29 23:24:46 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019, at 12:07, Alain Wolf wrote:

> The torproject website has been updated today:
>
> https://blog.torproject.org/meet-new-torprojectorg
>
> If you run Nginx on your mirror-site it no longer works, the following
> changes where necessary to make it work again:
>
> In you server configuration, remove or comment-out the line
>
> 	"index index.html.en;"
>
> The new site uses standard index.html documents.

Thanks, I had that on my todo list to check, updated here.

I was wandering the new site, and virtually all of the useful links point back to torproject.org now other than a bit of stuff under /about/ -- In particular, all the download links pull the user back to https://www.torproject.org/dist/

https://2019.www.torproject.org/download/download-easy.html.en still mentions GetTor (which maybe handed out direct links to mirrors?) but the link https://www.torproject.org/projects/gettor is broken (https://2019.www.torproject.org/projects/projects/gettor -- Maybe that should be https://2019.www.torproject.org/projects/gettor ?)

I don't keep much in the way of logs but I did have a bit of very broad statistics in the past (bytes/day for a few days) and I saw very little traffic before when the local /dist/ directory was at least linked. I also don't even see any reference to mirrors being available on the new site, leaving a user who from an environment with torproject.org completely blocked being unable to find the files even if they happened to somehow find my mirror.

Heck, even finding the mirror will be difficult with <meta property="og:url" content="https://torproject.org" /> set.

Is there still value in running mirrors? I have no real actual cost as I have both the bandwidth and disk space available, but if the mirrors aren't linked or used, it makes me wonder.