[tor-mirrors] Mirrors future

Peter Ludikovsky peter at ludikovsky.name
Wed Aug 17 14:00:59 UTC 2016

Hello,

Given the CDN-sponsoring by Fastly [1] I wonder what the future will
hold for mirror volunteers. I do know that those mirrors aren't taken
into account for updates and aren't listen on the download site [2]. The
only place I've seen them so far was when I used Tor Browser Launcher
[3], which uses a mirror list from 2 years ago.

My question is: what, if anything, is planned for the mirrors? Will the
main use be a backup, in case the main site goes down and/or is
compromised? Will they be included as part of the Fastly transport? Or
will they be only a fallback for advanced users who want to compare
binaries from multiple sources for integrity?

It would be nice if anyone from within the project could answer any of
those questions.

Regards
/peter

[1]