[tor-mirrors] Mirror in the DNS?

Taylor Hornby havoc at defuse.ca
Mon Mar 31 21:56:18 UTC 2014

Hi,

I wrote this little tool for implementing a "filesystem" in the DNS:

https://github.com/defuse/dnsfs

I'm sure this has been done before, but I couldn't find anything exactly
like it, and it works surprisingly well.

Currently you can download the Tor source code from my DNS server like
this (note, this is only temporary, I may remove it in the future):

    for i in `seq 15394`; do host -t TXT f2p$i.dnsfs.defuse.ca | \
    cut -d '"' -f 2|base64 --decode; done > /tmp/tor-0.2.4.21.tar.gz

Or, if you want to try it but don't want to make *15,394* DNS requests
(please respect your ISP's DNS server, the responses will be cached),
here's a smaller demo that downloads and displays a text file:

    for i in `seq 21`; do host -t TXT f1p$i.dnsfs.defuse.ca | \
    cut -d '"' -f 2|base64 --decode; done|less

I wrote it just for fun, but I realized it might actually be useful for
getting Tor and other things to people in censored areas like Turkey.

So, my question is:
Is this useful at all? Should I keep making Tor available this way?

Thanks,
--
Taylor Hornby